Monday, May 9, 2011

Author Interview: Bryan Healey

I'm going to digress briefly from things fantastical and adventurous to introduce indie author Bryan Healey.  Bryan is promoting "Shattered Wings," a pretty powerful novel about addiction, homophobia, and family.  I'm going to let Brian tell you about it, and him, in his own words:

Buy Shattered Wings

Bryan says: "Shattered Wings," the story about a man named John who is struggling to reconcile an unexpected unemployment with his recollected troubles with discrimination, addiction and family issues, has recently been released and is now for sale! It is available for purchase on Amazon.com, BN.com, or directly from the author at shatteredwingsbook.com."

Tell me a little bit about the book:
"John has the life he wants: A man he loves, a beautiful little girl and a decent white-collar job. But a sudden layoff brings about financial and emotional struggle. In his inability to secure new work and a growing sense of despair, he relapses into alcoholism and faces his demons of addiction, discrimination, and regret as he tries desperately to regain the life he had."

How about you, Bryan?  Tell me a little bit about yourself:
I've been writing since I was old enough to hold a pencil, participating in poetry slams all through my younger years. When it came time to choose my college learnin', I opted for a secondary interest that seemed more lucrative: Computer Science. I went to Northeastern University, and now work full-time as a Senior Web Engineer. But that passion for literature has never subsided, and I am working diligently to turn my lust for English into a modest side career.

I'm a closet computer programmer myself.  Don't tell anybody.  This isn't your first novel, is it?
My first self-published book was called "A Line Blurred." It was about an unhappy couple that find unexpected comfort in the grips of an affair. It deals with issues of rationalization and the consequence of justified action.

What's next for you as a writer?  Any works in progress?
I am about half way through my third book, entitled "No Where." In it, we follow a man as he is fleeing with his biological son after the grisly murder of his mother and her husband, trying to escape from an unknown and undeniably dangerous adversary. Seeking the help of his brother, who uses his political influence to launch a probing investigation, he sets off across the country. But as his brother digs deeper into the man's past, some troubling revelations come to light...

Tell me what you do for fun:
I read a lot. I watch a lot of sports, mostly baseball and football. I enjoy evenings out with my wife and a coffee and a book at Barnes and Noble. I like taking photographs and eating fruit. I also play baseball, although my vision of my talent far exceeds reality. And I enjoy computers, developing web sites and playing video games.

Buy Shattered Wings

No comments:

Post a Comment