Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Author Interview - Brenda McCreight

Check out this book

“Does everything down here eat people? Haven’t they ever heard of turnips?”

Cleah: The Lost Fury Chronicles The Otherworld is a fantasy adventure set in ancient Ireland. It involves a plucky orphan slave girl who finds herself in the Otherworld with fairies and trolls. The story is full of action and wonder and a strong undercurrent of romance as two young heroes explore a magical realm. However, I think I'll let Brenda tell you about it in her own words.

Can you tell us about your background?

I’ve been a mom and a therapist for many years and I have worked with youth who are trying to navigate their way through life without a parent or family to help them and I thought it would be interesting to write about this issue in a different kind of setting.

Have you always wanted to write?

I have always written in one form or another. I wrote newsletters for groups I belonged to and I think one of the reasons I went after so many academic degrees was because I loved the writing part of the course work – even though it wasn’t fiction.

Why were you attracted to an ancient setting for Cleah?

I wanted to write about a time when there were fewer choices for women and yet still be able to demonstrate the strength and resilience it takes to create a life without a family to help you.

Are your characters based on people you really know?

Not really, but Cleah’s perseverance and her ability to become what she needs to in order to survive is a common trait among youth I’ve worked with.

Do you work out your stories ahead of time?

I know the basic plot and what the theme is but the rest grows as I write. I’m not the type of writer who sits down and plots it scene by scene although I do have a structure and method to make sure it comes out smoothly and with all the loose ends tied up.

What made you decide that the Lost Fury Chronicles was a series instead of a standalone book?

Right from my first thoughts of Cleah I knew that there were three stories (at least) that could be told. I wanted to have her grow up and to experience different kinds of adventures. I also wanted to complete the circle and answer the questions about her origins and that will take more than one book.

Your books have magic and battles in them. Are these your interests?

I’m not so interested in battles but I have 6 sons so I have lived years and years of video games that are full of wars and battles and it’s become an area I hear about every day. As for magic, yes I like magic, but I don’t like it to be a plot device or a distraction to the story and the characters.

What do you like to read?

I like just about anything. I love some horror, some mystery, some historical fiction. Basically, a good book is a good read no matter what the topic.

Do you have a writing schedule?

I work full time and I have 7 children still at home so I am up before them and write till they awake. I also write whenever a client cancels at the last minute and I try to put aside one writing day a week. I would love to write full time.

What do you do when you aren’t writing?

Well, as I said, I have a full time clinical practice and I have 7 kids still to raise as well as chickens and dogs and gardens to tend to. Life is busy.

What are you working on now?

I’m half way through the next Lost Fury book and then I’ll write the sequel to the Shay James Mysteries.



Check out this book

No comments:

Post a Comment