Thursday, June 9, 2011

Author Interview - Talia Jager

Read The Ultimate Sacrifice

"All of the students here at Glendale Institute had gifts. Some gifts – like mine – were only supposed to be used in emergencies. However, being that I have a short temper, I don’t think the gods planned that one out real well."

The Ultimate Sacrifice is a young-adult paranormal novel with a kick-ass premise.  The Glendale Institute is a bit like boarding school, but the students have "gifts."  Paranormal abilities.  They have varying levels of control, and some of their powers are downright dangerous.

16-year-old Kassia is the protagonist.  She can hurt people with her mind.  Her life is a constant challenge with self-control, until her best friend is attacked.  Kassia saves her friend, but attracts the attention of demons and finds herself on the run.

The book starts out a bit slowly, with lots of details that only a teenage girl would find interesting.  Before long, though, things begin to pop.  There is mystery, mortal peril, and romance.

Talia Jager is the author of The Ultimate Sacrifice and several other novels.  Take it away, Talia:

What genre do you write?I write young adult. So far, three of my books have been YA dramas and one is a YA paranormal/fantasy.

When did you realize you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve always known I wanted to be a writer. I remember writing stories in elementary schools. I would hide notebooks under my classwork in high school and hide under the covers at night with a flashlight so I could write my stories.

What do you most enjoy about writing?
Creating characters readers will care about. Bringing a story to life and telling that story in a way that the reader won’t forget.

When do you get your best ideas? When do you write the most?
Having a family makes writing whenever I want to or whenever a great idea hits me difficult. I tend to get ideas in the shower, when in bed, or while driving. I can't tell you how often I've had to get out of bed to write something down. Maybe it's because my house is so noisy, that when it's quiet, my brain gets busier. I find the best time to write is at night, after everybody else is asleep. This usually means I'm up until one or two in the morning. Sometimes an idea comes to me and I write it down, but I don't anything with it for months or even years sometimes.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned while creating your books?
Story lines don’t always go the way you want them to and characters can surprise you.

Do you have a specific writing style?
I usually write in first person, past tense. However, that doesn't mean I'll never do anything else.

How long does it take you to write a book?
Anywhere from a month to a year.

Do you have any advice to aspiring writers?
I tell people three things. Write as much as you can as often as you can. Write for yourself, not anybody else. Believe in yourself and never give up.

What do you have planned for the future?
I have three ideas brewing right now. The first is a new YA paranormal, the second will be a sequel to The Ultimate Sacrifice, and the third is an edgy YA drama.

Tell us three random things about yourself.
I have five daughters. I love chocolate. I had purple hair in high school.

What does your family think of your writing?
They are very supportive. As long as I feed them, clean them, dress them, entertain them, support them and make sure they’re happy, they are fine with me writing.

Do you have a website, fan site, or Blog that we can visit?
My blog is http://taliajager.blogspot.com/
My Facebook fan page is http://www.facebook.com/taliajager
My Twitter page is http://www.twitter.com/taliajager

Read The Ultimate Sacrifice

No comments:

Post a Comment